Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Night Visitors








Last night I was working on the computer, oil lamps burning on a dresser behind me, when I suddenly became aware that something was watching me from the dark outside through the window.  Sure enough, looking out onto the deck, I could see a big northern flying squirrel hanging on a bird feeder filled with sunflower seeds, looking in at me.  Over the years, I have had flying squirrels looking down at me through my skylights, noses pressed tight, peeking in at me from the upstairs windows.  One time, when I was outdoors at night, I even had one land on my head.  If you carry a few almonds in your pocket, you can make fond memories and a trusting friendship very quickly.  I was outside just a few minutes ago and a different northen flying squirrel was on the feeder.  With her tail wrapped around the feeder for support as she ate sunflower seeds, I couldn't resist and gave her tail a few short strokes to feel her soft fur.  She never paid any attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment