One of the oldest postcards known from the Annapolis Valley (immediately above), shows the exact site of the Hell's Gate hydro electrical plant location today. Another later, poorly coloured card of same photo appears above it. Although local residents clearly recognized "Black River Falls" as a beautiful local natural landmark, reaction to installing the hydro station (as detailed in an account by Roy Joudrey) by people in the 1920's was decidedly pragmatic and focused on societal benefits of having electricity. The Nova Scotia Power Company later renamed their generation station as "Hell's Gate." The S. P. Benjamin mill (3rd image up, "Gaspereau River at White Rock") above the Black River Falls had been dammed decades before, for a water powered sawmill operation that provided much needed employment for local people and was the primary mill for all lumber harvested across the South Mountain and the top of the Black River watershed where several lumber camps were located. Two images above this, give the viewer a good conception of the size of the original river, above the Benjamin's sawmill prior to operation of all the hydro dams that later regulated the rates of flow even further.