Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Ted Hughes Crows Revisited







Crow Blacker Than Ever



When God, disgusted with man,

Turned towards heaven,

And man, disgusted with God,

Turned towards Eve,

Things looked like falling apart. 




But Crow.. Crow

Crow nailed them together,

Nailing heaven and earth together-




So man cried, but with God's voice.

And God bled, but with man's blood. 




Then heaven and earth creaked at the joint

Which became gangrenous and stank-

A horror beyond redemption. 




The agony did not diminish. 




Man could not be man nor God God. 




The agony




Grew. 




Crow




Grinned




Crying: "This is my Creation," 




Flying the black flag of himself. 




By Ted Hughes.  From the Life and Songs of the Crow (London: Faber & Faber, 1970)









3 comments:

  1. Stark ,profound and mesmerizing ~ truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a powerful poem! I'm not going to look at crows the same way again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be the best photo of a crow I've ever seen (top). It really captures their essence. When my youngest was a baby, there was a family of crows nesting in a spruce outside and every day the young crows would sit on the fence outside her window and "talk" to her. She would imitate their sounds. The parents were quite upset by this ~ I think they figured I had a baby crow trapped in the house! I called her the Daughter of the Crows. In Native Animal Medicine, the crow represents Natural Law - not the sort found in a legal library.

    The Sylvia Plath song reminds me of a quote by Edith Wharton: "I don't know if I should care for a man who made life easy; I should want someone who made it interesting". I wonder if Ted's dark view was influenced by his life with Sylvia's wild genius. However it was inspired, it's a great poem.

    ReplyDelete