Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Nothing is Real


In Memory of Dr. Oliver Sacks
9 July 1933 - 30 August 2015




“I love to discover potential in people who aren’t thought to have any.” - Oliver Sacks








“Music can lift us out of depression or move us to tears - it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear. But for many of my neurological patients, music is even more - it can provide access, even when no medication can, to movement, to speech, to life. For them, music is not a luxury, but a necessity.”  - 
 Oliver Sacks











“If a man has lost a leg or an eye, he knows he has lost a leg or an eye; but if he has lost a self—himself—he cannot know it, because he is no longer there to know it.” -  Oliver Sacks






“Every act of perception, is to some degree an act of creation, and every act of memory is to some degree an act of imagination.”  - Oliver Sacks



“My religion is nature. That’s what arouses those feelings of wonder and mysticism and gratitude in me.”   -  Oliver Sacks




Unbroken Chain
Lyrics - Bobby Petersen
Music - Phil Lesh

Blue light rain, unbroken chain
Looking for familiar faces in an empty window pane
Listening for the secret, searching for the sound
But I can only hear the preacher and the baying of his hounds

Willow sky, I walk and wonder why
They say love your brother but you catch it when you try
Roll you down the line boy, drop you for a loss
Ride out on a cold railroad and nail you to a cross

November and more as I wait for the score
They're telling me forgiveness is the key to every door
A slow winter day, a night like forever
Sink like a stone, float like a feather

Lilac rain, unbroken chain
Song of the Saw-Whet owl
Out on the mountain it'll drive you insane
Listening to the winds howl

Unbroken chain of sorrow and pearls
Unbroken chain of sky and sea
Unbroken chain of the western wind
Unbroken chain of you and me





3 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to an amazing man! I must learn more about him and his life. I am quite taken with your photographic installations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver Sacks indeed a special man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Mark! Your photos are amazing! I really enjoyed Oliver Sack's quotes. I have his "Uncle Tungsten" in my pile of books to read at home. I'm in Victoria, BC, right now. So much of what he said in the quotes above resonate with me! Hope life has been treating you well!

    ReplyDelete